These caramelized carrots are naturally sweet and aromatic with the perfect amount of savory spices. We enjoy this (perhaps best ever) carrot recipe year-round, especially on those brisk autumn days!
Traditional orange carrots are excellent in this recipe, but I had some yellow carrots from the farmer’s market that were begging to be caramelized. Of course, they were really successful!
- 1 pound carrots peeled and cut in 1/4″ by 2-3″ sticks
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup vegan chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil and Earth Balance in a skillet or sautéing pan over medium high heat. When hot, add onions, then garlic, be careful not to let the garlic burn. Then, mix in cumin, curry powder, and thyme. Add the carrots and stir until they are coated with the other ingredients.
- Pour in broth. Add some salt and a bit of pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and boil uncovered for 10-20 minutes, until broth has mostly evaporated.
- After water has evaporated, allow the carrots and onions to start to caramelize by letting them cook for 10-15 minutes, flipping every 5 minutes or as necessary to prevent them sticking to the pan.
Shout out goes to Kay at Kayotic Kitchen for the original recipe.
Another noteworthy tidbit is that older carrots that have started to soften also work quite well in this recipe — just something to keep in mind.