If you’ve got a craving for a serious deli sandwich, this recipe will make your day. Shaved delicatessen vegan corned beef topped with sauerkraut and deli mustard hits the spot any day of the week.
The aroma from brown sugar, cloves, cinnamon, and allspice will take over your kitchen while the loaf bakes. After baking the loaf, a beet powder broth is quickly prepared to color the shaved slices a brilliant red, while a final pinch of salt adds that nostalgic cured taste.
You can often find beet root powder in the bulk spices section of your grocery store or health food store, or you can find it online.
Delicatessen Vegan Corned Beef on Rye
Vegan Corned Beef Ingredients
- 1 1/4 cup wheat gluten flour
- 1/2 tablespoon dry yellow mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup kidney beans white or red
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
Beet Broth Ingredients (for each sandwich)
- 1/4 teaspoon beet powder or more to desired color, some beet powders are darker than others
- 2 tablespoons water not too much or you’ll over-dilute the color
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 325° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients (wheat gluten flour through allspice) and mix well. In a separate bowl, mash kidney beans until no whole beans remain. Then stir in water, oil, ginger, garlic, and brown sugar. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients all at once, stir for a few seconds with a large fork until all wet and dry ingredients are incorporated. Then, using your hands, knead the dough for one minute to activate the gluten. Shape into a log with about a 3-inch diameter, wrap tightly in heavy-duty aluminum foil and twist the ends to seal. Bake on a pan 1 hour and 15 minutes, flipping the loaf once half-way through cooking. Let cool about one to two hours after baking.
- Make the Vegan Corned Beef on Rye Deli Sandwich
- With a sharp knife, slice thin layers of vegan corned beef from the loaf. In a non-stick skillet, stir together beet powder and water, then add the layers of vegan corned beef and stir to evenly apply color. Once the liquid and color are absorbed and distributed, sprinkle on a pinch of salt. Optionally warm up sauerkraut in another skillet until most excess liquid is removed. On rye bread, layer vegan corned beef, sauerkraut, and deli mustard (such as dijon, brown, or yellow mustard).
- Serve warm (or cold) and enjoy!