I ran across this diamond in the rough years ago on an Hispanic newsgroup. People were raving, so I translated it, prepped it and ay dios mio!
This fresh treat rarely makes its way to the refrigerator, but keep in mind that avocado doesn’t last much longer than a couple days after it has been prepared. Try to keep the container tightly sealed. Another note: if you’re sensitive to heat, the jalapeño peppers don’t add heat as much as they add flavor, so try to add at least adding 1/2 to 1 pepper.
- 1 large Hass avocado or 2 medium
- 1 large tomato chopped (or 2 Roma tomatoes)
- 1/2 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1-2 fresh jalapeño peppers minced
- juice from a small lemon
- cilantro finely chopped to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the avocado and remove the pit and set it aside. Crush avocado with a fork until desired consistency – slightly chunky. Add the chopped ingredients, jalapeño, lemon juice, and lastly add the salt and pepper to taste. Storing the pit in the guacamole may help reduce early expiration if making a day or so ahead of time.