Stuffing vegetables is one of those culinary treats that we just don’t enjoy frequently enough. Too often we’re stuffing bread to make calzones, stuffing pasta to make stuffed shells or cannelloni, or stuffing crepes to make… well, crepes. While those are all delicious meals, I feel like stuffed zucchinis really hold their own as an excellent savory main course.
This is also one of those go-to meals to make if you have leftover sun-dried tomatoes in your fridge.
Italian Tempeh and Sun-Dried Tomato Stuffed Zucchini
- 2 medium zucchinis
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes not oil packed, diced
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos soy sauce, or tamari
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed crushed
- a pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon Browning & Seasoning Sauce optional
- 4 ounces tempeh crumbled or small diced
- Place dry sun-dried tomatoes in hot water to reconstitute. After 15 minutes, strain and they will be ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Slice zucchinis in half, lengthwise and scrape out the centers. Set the scraped out zucchini guts aside and save for the stuffing mixture (for that double zucchini goodness).
- Oil the zucchini with extra-virgin olive oil (a Misto oil sprayer is great here), and add a bit of salt and freshly cracked black pepper to the hollowed area. Lay cut side down in a pan and cook 10 minutes at 400° F.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add grapeseed oil, Braggs liquid aminos, sage, fennel, crushed red pepper, water, Browning & Seasoning Sauce (optional), and tempeh. Stir and continue to cook about 10-15 minutes until all liquid is absorbed and tempeh just starts to brown.
- After the liquid is fully absorbed into the tempeh, add the sun-dried tomatoes and zucchini guts to the tempeh in the saucepan (still over medium/medium-low heat).
- After the zucchinis have finished cooking for 10 minutes, remove them from the oven. When the stuffing is ready, stuff the zucchinis with the tempeh and sun-dried tomato mixture and bake upright for 5 minutes. Serve with rice.