This Italian inspired meal puts the spotlight on Italian greens. Sicilian Greens and Chickpeas is an absolute favorite – it’s warm, satisfying and the combination of flavors is surprisingly perfect (oh, it’s nutritious, too!).
Sicilian Greens and Chickpeas
- 1 bunch red chard sliced thin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 15 ounce cans chickpeas strained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup sweetened dried cranberries (or raisins)
- pinch of salt
- lemon wedges optional
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and salt. Cook until they just start to brown, about 9 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, cook until they get fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add chickpeas, cranberries, broth, and put chard on top. Cover, cook until the chard is wilted, about 9 minutes, stirring often. Uncover and cook until the liquid cooks away, about 5 minutes. Optionally serve with lemon wedges.