Watch out, Reese’s, this vegan recipe for chocolate peanut butter cups is outstanding! These peanut butter cups made from scratch pack together the great flavors of real peanut butter and quality chocolate.
Ghirardelli premium semi-sweet baking chips, unlike Nestle and the store brands, use cocoa butter instead of butterfat or milk fat. Of course you can use carob chips if you’ve got those handy, but we found the carob flavor pretty overwhelming in our carob test batch.
Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance butter substitute
- 3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter preferably unsweetened
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup vegan granulated sugar
- 1 cup Ghirardelli premium semi-sweet baking chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup almond soy or rice milk
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans almonds or peanuts
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Melt the butter substitute in a saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, stir in the graham cracker crumbs and remove from heat. Stir in the peanut butter and sugar, mix well. Evenly divide the mixture among the 12 paper cups, about 2 tablespoons each.
- In another saucepan, combine the chocolate chips and milk and stir over medium heat until the chocolate has melted. Spoon the mixture over each individual peanut butter cup evenly, and top with chopped nuts. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
My wife is currently dairy-free for baby, which is guiding our sweet treat selection down new paths – I’m loving it! Oh, be careful if you decide to taste the peanut butter, butter, sugar and graham cracker mixture… it’s addictive.
This recipe was adapted from The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone.